Chief Protocol Jobs Vacancy in Manitoba Government Winnipeg
Manitoba Government Winnipeg urgently required following position for Chief Protocol. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Chief Protocol Jobs Vacancy in Manitoba Government Winnipeg Jobs Details:
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary civil service that is inclusive and reflective of the population it serves. We encourage applicants to voluntarily self-declare in the cover letter, resumé or application if they are from any of the following employment equity groups: women, Indigenous people, visible minorities, and persons with disabilities.
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
The Government of Manitoba is seeking an experienced, strategic and culturally aware leader as the Chief of Protocol. The Protocol Office provides protocol advice and services and plays an important role in promoting Manitoba's economic, cultural and academic interests nationally and internationally by leading and coordinating various ceremonial and diplomatic activities and events. As the resident expert for government on protocol requirements and standards, the Chief of Protocol will provide leadership and strategic advice in the planning, organization and execution of official visits, missions, ceremonies and diplomatic activities and events.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Valid Class 5F Driver's License
- Must be able to work outside regular business hours, including evenings and weekends as required
- Must be able to travel throughout the province and Canada as required
- Satisfactory Criminal Record Check
- Post secondary degree in Public Relations, Public Administration, Commerce, Political Studies, International Relations or related field combined with extensive experience in public relations, international relations, protocol, diplomatic relations or foreign affairs preferably in government environment. An equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field may be considered
- In-depth understanding and knowledge of diplomatic practice, protocol standards/requirements in Government or international agency to ensure ability to provide advice and guidance to all levels of government
- Experience in financial management practices and processes including budget management
- Strong project management or event management experience to ensure effective preparation and execution of official visits and events
- Significant policy or program management experience to effectively lead the development and implementation of government-wide protocol standards and policies
- Strong partnership/relationship building skills
- Strong negotiation and conflict resolutlion skills in order to deveop and maintain productive relationships and alliances
- Awareness and appreciation of cultural and international expectations, differences and sensitivities
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and make independent decisions when faced with non-routine and unexpected situations and problems
- Strong interpersonal skills to interact with national and international officials
- Superior oral communication skills
- Well developed written communication skills
- Strong leadership skills with experience leading groups/teams
- In-depth understanding of Manitoba's current political, economic, social and cultural issues, trends and priorities
- Fluency in both English and French is an asset
Reporting to the Deputy Cabinet Secretary and the Deputy Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, the Chief of Protocol is responsible for all matters of protocol for the Government of Manitoba and acts as the principal contact for Manitoba's Consular Corps.
Key responsibilities include:
- Providing protocol and cultural advice to the Premier's Office, Cabinet, Ministers and other senior leaders;
- Conducting research on and developing protocol standards, policies, guidelines, processes/procedures;
- Fostering local, national and international relationships and partnerships;
- Negotiating with national and international counterparts in the establishment of visit/event schedules and programs;
- Managing government's relations with numerous countries that comprise Manitoba's Consular Corps;
- Directing and supervising the logistical planning, organization and execution of all official visits and diplomatic events hosted by the Government of Manitoba;
- Overseeing official visits and events as they occur and resolving urgent and sensitive diplomatic and protocol issues as they arise with discretion and political sensitivity;
- Managing budgets including branch operating budget and budgets for official events/visits;
- Supervising staff and cross-functional teams including assignment of work, evaluation of performance and program objectives.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor's representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.