Lead Horticulturist Jobs Vacancy in Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory Cambridge
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory Cambridge urgently required following position for Lead Horticulturist. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Lead Horticulturist Jobs Vacancy in Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory Cambridge Jobs Details:
Lead Horticulturist (Full time, Permanent)
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory is a unique and high profile tourist attraction located in Cambridge, Ontario. The Horticulturist will provide strategic direction and vision regarding expansion and enhancement of plant collections, both in the indoor tropical Conservatory and in the outdoor seasonal gardens. A large part of the role will involve the care for and maintenance of the greenhouse and outdoor plant collections, grounds and equipment. The Horticulturist along with the Conservatory Manager will hire, train and manage horticulture department staff and volunteers.
Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO
Conservatory Manager & Naturalist - > Executive Director & Curator
POSITIONS REPORTING TO HORTICULTURIST
- Horticulture staff
- Horticulture volunteers
- May 1, 2019
- Monday - Friday, and as needed
- Post-secondary education resulting in a degree, diploma or certificate in horticulture, botany or a related field
- Experience with tropical plants and greenhouse techniques
- Management experience in a related field an asset
- Energetic and positive attitude
- Interest in insects, invertebrates and their interactions with plants preferred
- Experience operating and maintaining landscape equipment (i.e. power tiller, push mower, string line trimmer, riding mower, etc.)
- Experience with indoor & outdoor plants (tropicals, annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs)
- Able to perform heavy lifting and long hours of manual labour under summer greenhouse conditions and outdoor summer conditions
- Valid driver's license and ability to work large machinery
- Willingness to represent Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory in media interviews, and offsite presentations
- Valid Standard First-Aid/CPR
- Vulnerable sector and police background check
- Staff are required to wear the appropriate uniform and safety equipment at all times.
- Develop and implement a strategic plan with a strong focus on plant-butterfly interactions including the requirement for a variety of nectar and pollen sources. Incorporate the goals and objectives of the organization into the development of an overall vision and operational plan for all plant collections, and landscape designs
- Maintain (provision and care for) tropical plant collection, operate automatic irrigation system, manage fertilizer program, plant propagation, water containers, prune, maintain ideal environment, amend soil, aquatic pump
- Control plant pests and diseases using integrated pest management techniques
- Maintain grounds including lawn maintenance (mowing, edging, fertilizing, aerating and reseeding), garden maintenance (fertilizing, rotor tilling, planting, weeding, watering and pest control), some snow removal
- Inventory and catalogue entire plant collection and maintain records. Foster relationships with horticulturists from other institutions in the interest of expanding and enhancing our current collection. Maintain a plant collections catalogue that will be accessible to the public online.
- Hire, train and supervise seasonal horticulture staff as well as volunteers. Participate in and report updates at operations meetings.
- Liaise with suppliers and trades as needed
- Oversee maintenance and cleanliness of horticulture equipment, including mechanical equipment, and working areas
- Assist with conservation projects as required
- Oversee overall Conservatory aesthetic: keep pathways tidy and clear of hazards
- Follow all open/close procedures when needed
- Implement CFIA containment protocol in Conservatory
- Assist with Nature Interpreting on an occasional basis and during "all hands on deck" events (ie. Family Day weekend, March break)
- Develop and maintain a standard operational procedures manual for the horticultural department
- Check mailbox, e-mail, and staff board daily for updates
- Attend bi-weekly staff operations meetings to report progress
- Provide reports to Conservatory Manager & Naturalist, as required/requested
- Assist with marketing initiatives including but not limited to social media posts and blog posts, as requested
- Participate as a member of the joint health and safety committee
- Assist team efforts, as directed, that reflect the immediate needs of the organization
- Adhere to all Company policies, rules, systems and procedures which are outlined in the Cambridge Butterfly Conservatory Employee Handbook, as well as all Health and Safety policies and procedures and safe work practices
- Other duties as assigned
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $35,000.00 to $40,000.00 /year