Research Associate Jobs Vacancy in University Alberta Edmonton
University Alberta Edmonton urgently required following position for Research Associate. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Research Associate Jobs Vacancy in University Alberta Edmonton Jobs Details:
The Research Associate (RA) will be working in the laboratory of Principal Investigator (PI) Dr. Joseph Casey in the Department of Biochemistry. In consultation with the PI, this role will involve oversight of day to day lab functioning. The incumbent will be involved in the interaction of two overlapping research groups, the Membrane Protein Disease Research Group and the International Research Training Group in Membrane Biology. Dr. Casey's lab also interacts with the Alberta Vision Net and will require the RA to attend group meetings and to interact as a discussant and potentially collaborator with individuals from about 18 different research groups.
- Performing high level, complex research activities under the direction of the PI
- Planning research activities and provides research design
- Setting research activity objectives in consultation with PI
- Working with a high degree of independence, and following the research plan developed by PI
- Developing and performing lab experiments, troubleshooting experimental protocols, and adjusting methodology to attain desired results
- Contributing to the research project by investigating, creating, and designing new methods and experiments for project advancement
- Overseeing and conducting data collection activities
- Making detailed observations, conducting high level protein analysis and interpreting research data and results
- Fostering communication and participating in coordination of collaborative research activities between the Membrane Protein Disease Research Group (13 labs) and the International Research Training Group in Membrane Biology
- Writing first draft of manuscripts and providing assistance with grant application preparation
- Preparing abstracts, technical reports and research summaries for submission, under the direction of the PI and collaborators
- Presenting research results at laboratory meetings, scientific conferences (national and international) and other related settings
- Guiding, training and providing oversight of research personnel, including summer students, graduate students and postdoctoral fellows and research technicians
- Assisting with related administrative duties, including participating in research personnel recruitment panels and provides recommendations into financial decisions
- Responsible for the ordering of supplies, arranging for equipment maintenance and arranging lab activities, along with the Lab Technician
- PhD in Biochemistry, Cell Biology, Physiology or related discipline
- Extensive research background in membrane transport proteins, ideally with the SLC4 family
- High level research skills - experimental design, analysis and trouble shooting
- High level understanding of biochemistry, cell biology and physiology
- Ability to carry out protein analysis, including SDS-poly acrylamide gel electrophoresis, immunoblotting and protein purification
- Experience and skill with confocal microscopy, mammalian cell tissue culture and transfection
- Molecular biology experience, including plasmid propagation, analysis and mutagenesis
- Strong verbal and written science communication skills for effective manuscript writing, abstract writing and presenting to research groups
- Supervisory experience is an asset
In accordance with the Trust/Research Academic Staff agreement, this position has an approximate appointment of 1 year, with the possibility of extension, and offers a comprehensive benefits package which can be viewed at Faculty & Staff Benefits with an annual salary range of $58,210 - $65,490. A review of applications will begin on June 8, 2018.
To assist the University in complying with mandatory reporting requirements of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (R203(3) (e)), please include the first digit of your Canadian Social Insurance Number in your application. If you do not have a Canadian Social Insurance Number, please indicate this in your application.