Housing Support Worker Jobs Vacancy in Choices For Youth St. John's
Choices For Youth St. John's urgently required following position for Housing Support Worker. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Housing Support Worker Jobs Vacancy in Choices For Youth St. John's Jobs Details:
Full-Time contract until March 31, 2019)
In partnership with Stella’s Circle, and with support from End Homelessness St. John’s, Choices for Youth will be offering a Homelessness Prevention Rapid Rehousing program.
The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Rehousing program (HPRR) will provide rapid housing responses for youth who have shorter episodes of homelessness and require moderate levels of ongoing support. The aim is to prevent youth from becoming homelessness in the first place and to provide housing and supports as quickly as possible in the event they do become homeless.
Choices for Youth Inc. (“Choices”) is a dynamic, progressive organization that empowers homeless and at-risk youth with innovative options and tools to move from street-life to more stable, healthy living situations.
We are seeking a Housing Support Worker to provide support within the Outreach and Youth Engagement program. This individual will report to the Case Manager and together, will work to ensure effective program delivery related to homelessness prevention and rapid rehousing. Using a strengths-based approach, the Family Reconnect Worker will provide individualized support to persons who have been referred to and accepted under the criteria for the HPRR Program in order to prevent homelessness and provide rapid rehousing. The role provides solutions to barriers that perpetuate homelessness such as long processes and wait times, lack of transportation, intimidating program facilities, complex systems of support, interventions that precede assessment, and lack of support and connection prior to receiving community services. This role requires significant relationship building/engagement skills with landlords and the ability to meet youth where they are and to support them to develop and implement goals in an effort to make positive changes in their lives.
- Provide outreach services to all program clients using a strengths-based and harm reduction approach
- Seek out and develop supportive relationships with landlords in order to proactively reduce/avoid occurrence of eviction.
- Negotiate with landlords regarding late payments, damage or lease violations; consult with legal services staff regarding actions to prevent evictions
- Collaborate with the youth and the HPRR Housing Support Case Manager to help participants identify their housing needs and implement housing plan
- Being knowledgeable about landlord-tenant law and available income assistance benefit programs in order to link youth to supports
- Provides case management and advocacy at intake, during and/or after housing placement
- Links clients to mainstream and community resources
- Helps client identify and avoid behaviors that contribute to housing instability
- Helps client identify short- and intermediate-term goals
- Intervene effectively and appropriately to crisis and conflict through the use of supportive counselling, problem solving and clear communication
- Support youth in all aspects of searching and securing safe, affordable housing including moving
- Ensure that services provided reflects the needs of CFY’s youth and their families
- Ensure documentation of relevant client information and that documentation is in accordance with CFY’s policy on the security and maintenance of client information
- Nurture and contribute to the unique culture of the organization
- Commit to helping CFY achieve the goals of its strategic plan
- Degree in Social Work or related field
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in the youth homelessness sector with an emphasis on landlord engagement and housing support
- Knowledge, understanding and commitment to the Housing First model and philosophy.
- In-depth knowledge and experience in such areas as housing, homelessness, mental health and substance use, trauma, conflict resolution and crisis intervention.
- In-depth knowledge of local community resources and the ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with agencies and systems.
- Excellent clinical, analytical and problem solving and negotiation skills as well as the ability to remain calm and focused in crisis driven work.
- Ability to work independently and within a team while supporting and achieving the overall goals of the program
- Thorough knowledge of community resources and supports for youth and families
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and facilitation skills are essential
- Demonstrated experience in using trauma-informed practice would be an asset
Hours of work for this position is 35 hours per week and flexibility in work hours will be required including evening and weekend work to accommodate family home visits and to accommodate higher work volumes and organizational requirements. Must provide a certificate of conduct, a valid First Aid certificate as well as ASIST. The position will require a vehicle and valid driver’s license.
The salary for this position is $50,032. Choices for Youth offers a competitive compensation package, including: a health and dental program, employer-matched RRSP and four weeks’ vacation to qualifying employees.