Library Assistant James Fowler High School Area Jobs Vacancy in Calgary Board Education Calgary
Calgary Board Education Calgary urgently required following position for Library Assistant James Fowler High School Area. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Library Assistant James Fowler High School Area Jobs Vacancy in Calgary Board Education Calgary Jobs Details:
Under the direction of the teacher-librarian or the designated member of the teaching staff and the school Principal, assists Calgary Board of Education (CBE) students, teaching staff and parents in the use and operation of school library resources. This position provides support services to the School Team to create an effective and positive learning environment for CBE students.
As a member of the Library Team, this position is accountable for providing effective and accurate assistance to CBE students, staff and parents, for coordinating the circulation of school library resources in a timely and efficient manner and, in conjunction with teaching staff, for building/maintaining an affinity for library learning resources for CBE students, while maintaining the positive learning environment of the library.
The Library Assistant will assist Calgary Board of Education (CBE) students and teaching staff in the access and use of the school library resources such as electronic search techniques and the location of school library resources. This includes the operation, use and maintenance of a computerized school library automation system (OPAC/CIRC) and of the district’s Media Reservation System. You will have access to the appropriate databases with technology and the maintenance, accuracy and currency of the library catalog database at the school level. Where applicable, you may also assist in the maintenance and use of the school library card catalog and assist students and staff in the basic use of software applications, such as word processing etc., on personal computers housed inside of the school library.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Circulate school library resources and prepare overdue lists using either automated or manual processes. Pocket, card and shelve returned school library resources and maintain circulation records as required.
- In consultation with the teaching staff, monitor students in the library during the absence of the teacher-librarian or designate to maintain the positive learning environment of the school library. Keep the school library facility open in the absence of the teacher-librarian or another member of the teaching staff.
- Maintain all management and organizational files such as vertical files, periodical files, business and financial records, electronic catalogs, etc.
- Coordinate the activities of school library volunteers and student assistants. Provides consistent and effective support to the school library volunteers and to the student assistants.
- Complete verified order forms for school library resources and supplies. Prepare totals and codes to the appropriate accounts. May verify receipt or cancellation of resources and/or supplies and adjust budget records as required.
- Assist in the operation and preventative maintenance of school library equipment. Maintains records of school library equipment servicing for each machine.
- Prepare routine correspondence, memos, notices, pockets, sign-out cards, periodicals, catalogue card sets, bibliographies and suggestion slips for new school library resources.
- Receive, distribute, collect and return resources from special collections within the CBE system. Processes interlibrary loans according to established procedures.
- Assist in the coordination of inventory of all school library resources and supplies. May compile circulation statistics as required. Coordinates the new resources by numbering, stamping, pocketing, bar-coding, and recording accession numbers, files, shelf listing of cards and card sets in the card catalogue. May coordinate the school library volunteers and/or school Library Pages in completing the inventory of school library resources and supplies where applicable.
- Make minor repairs to school library print resources. Process books for rebinding in accordance with established CBE and school-specific procedures.
- Prepare displays and promotional materials as requested. May assist with promotional activities (e.g. book fairs, visiting authors, etc.).
- Responsible for remaining abreast in the area of school library information resources as well as the associated skills required as they relate to major responsibilities.
- Perform other related responsibilities as required.
Education and Experience
- High school completion supplemented by courses related to major responsibilities.
- One year of related experience in a library environment, preferably in a school setting.
- An equivalent combination of directly related education or directly related experience may be considered
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
- Demonstrated electronic search technique skills.
- Accurate keyboarding skills an asset.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills with a strong customer service orientation.
- Able to take initiative, be self- motivated and have the ability to work independently.
- Ability to work with constant interruptions.
- Commitment to life long learning
- Possess the ability to relate to Calgary Board of Education students and staff and to participate collaboratively in a creative learning team environment.
- Personal suitability.
This position will be in a Learning Commons setting and the understanding of Library Systems and technology is a must.
In order to ensure and maintain a safe and secure working and learning environment, applicants new to the Calgary Board of Education WHO ARE OFFERED EMPLOYMENT must complete and pass a police security clearance before employment is confirmed.