Community Gardens Assistant Jobs Vacancy in Crc Toronto
Crc Toronto urgently required following position for Community Gardens Assistant. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Community Gardens Assistant Jobs Vacancy in Crc Toronto Jobs Details:
Position: Summer Student
Hours: 33 hours per week for 10 weeks
Supervisor: Community Garden Coordinator
The CRC is an innovative, impactful, collaborative mid-sized, multiservice agency that has proudly served the Regent Park and surrounding neighbourhood for over 50 years. In 2012, the CRC opened a beautiful new building and a new chapter in its history. Our building has a 5000 square foot community hub of program space and we host the only not-for-profit social housing in Regent Park. We are home to the Regent Park Community Food Centre (RPCFC), one of 8 Community Food Centres established across the country in partnership with Community Food Centres Canada. Food Centres are dynamic community spaces where people come together to cook, grow, share, and advocate for good food. The CRC works with low-income community members to build capacity to change situations and conditions for the better, both in their own lives and in the wider community.
The Community Gardens Assistant will provide support for the 40 Oaks Community Garden and the Regent Park Community Garden. They will work closely with the Community Gardens Coordinator to deliver educational programming for low-income seniors, families, and children in gardens serving over 200 people in Regent Park. This role will also support the Park Coordinator in the delivery of dynamic community programming in our local park, including bake oven ambassador training and events, and the adopt a tree program. The Community Gardens Assistant will participate as a CRC team member and will also help with the community meal program as needed.
- Assist Community Gardens Coordinator with coordination of weekly gardening sessions and general coordination of Regent Park Community Garden
- Support the delivery of children’s gardening programs (leading games and activities in the garden, community outreach)
- Provide support for the coordination of bake oven training in the park, bringing community members together to learn safe bake oven operations skills (public outreach, postering, administration)
- Support the adopt a tree program in the park, including events, outreach, and education to encourage community stewardship of local trees
- Assist staff with the operation of our community meal program (meal preparation, serving meals, cleanup) as needed
- Participate as a CRC team member
- Gardening experience
- Demonstrated experience and enthusiasm working in community gardens (through paid work or volunteer experience)
- Experience working with children
- Experience with public events an asset
- Experience in social service / community sector an asset
- Demonstrated ability to work sensitively with people of diverse backgrounds who experience poverty/ discrimination
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team player
- Ability to speak a language relevant to the Regent Park neighbourhood is an asset (Mandarin, Bengali, Tamil, Vietnamese, Somali or other)
- Familiarity with the Regent Park neighbourhood as asset
- Computer literate
A Vulnerable Sectors Police Reference Check will be required for this position.
Due to funding requirements, candidates must be between 15 and 30 years of age, registered as a full-time student during the preceding academic year, and intending to return to school on a full-time basis during the next academic year. Internationally registered students are not eligible.
This position will be a member of CRC Local #2864.
Please submit your resume and cover letter in one Word or pdf document, with “Community Gardens Assistant” in the subject of your email, by Friday May 18, 2018 at noon.
CRC encourages applications from people representing the diverse community we serve. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), CRC will provide accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require any accommodations, please notify us and we will work with you to meet your needs.
We thank all candidates for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Job Type: Contract