Electrical And Protection Control Engineering Specialist Jobs Vacancy in Ontario Power Generation Niagara
- Electrical And Protection Control Engineering Specialist
- Ontario Power Generation
- Niagara ON
- 11 Feb, 2018 10 days ago
Ontario Power Generation Niagara urgently required following position for Electrical And Protection Control Engineering Specialist. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Electrical And Protection Control Engineering Specialist Jobs Vacancy in Ontario Power Generation Niagara Jobs Details:
Ontario Power Generation (OPG) is looking for a dynamic, consultative and results driven professional to join our team in the role of Electrical and Protection & Control Engineering Specialist for our Niagara Falls location. Reporting to the Plant Technical Support Manager, the Electrical and Protection & Control Engineering Specialist is a member of the Plant Engineering Services team, focused on Electrical Power Equipment and Protection & Control Systems. In this role you will be responsible for providing technical advice, guidance on a variety of technical matters with regards to Electrical Power Equipment and Protection & Control Systems supporting the Hydroelectric and Thermal station’s maintenance, operations, performance, design and commissioning. This would include planning, organizing, conducting inspections, installations, testing, servicing, maintaining, and renovating as necessary for the continuous safe, efficient and economical commissioning and operations of our hydroelectric and thermal plants. This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to Ontario Power Generation’s continued growth and success in generating safe, clean, reliable low-cost power in a sustainable manner. KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Provide technical advice and guidance on a variety of technical matters for Hydroelectric and Thermal stations maintenance, operations, performance, design and commissioning;
- Plan, organize, and conduct inspections, installations, tests, servicing, maintenance, and renovations, necessary for the continuous safe, efficient and economical commissioning and operations of Hydroelectric and Thermal plant equipment;
- Perform assessments, recognize technical deficiencies, recommend remedial measures, prepare and co-ordinate design changes for submission and approval as required to remain in compliance with applicable codes and legislative requirements. Implement and conduct approved scheduled programs;
- Participate in staff meetings convened to plan and organize work and resourcing required;
- Responsible for the preparation and submission of various technical reports;
- Assist Supervisor in supervising staff assigned periodically to assist with the work programs within the business unit. Help with administration and allocation of work projects, check results, provide instructions, coaching, and technical guidance and be responsible for work quality and production;
- Assist in developing work methods or procedures including local technical procedures and implement as approved.
- As a single point of contact for assigned project work or work programs, support project management activities, co-ordinate necessary inputs from other technical disciplines;
- As necessary, prepare investment justifications based on conditions assessments of assigned existing systems and equipment. ;
- Arrange and oversee contract work. Prepare specifications, assist in the evaluation of tenders, and recommend awarding contracts. Work with suppliers to resolve problems affecting equipment performance, and recommend design changes based on operating experiences;
- Oversee work performed by contractors to ensure conformance to specification, resolving differences related to contract interpretation, and dealing with complaints as required. Maintain records for reference and payment;
- Investigate incidents of failure or unsatisfactory performance of equipment, material and service. Recommend improvements, review input arising from proposed procedural changes and reconcile conflicting viewpoints from trades and trades supervisory staff. Complete design changes and corrective measures and implement as approved;
- Maintain close surveillance over equipment noting situations that require action, recognizing impending difficulties, and exercising effective staff control. Report major maintenance requirements to Supervisor, otherwise, determine and take corrective measures necessary;
- Collaborate in studies or investigations conducted under a consortium of design, research, operating groups/utilities and regulatory bodies concerned with the safe efficient and economical production and distribution of power via hydroelectric and thermal plants and other facilities, where applicable;
- Oversee and assure conformity to safety, environmental and other relevant regulations, legislative changes and directives governing work within the scope of responsibilities assigned to the business unit;
- Ensure strict adherence to procedures, standing instructions, safety rules, first aid, and resuscitation practice;
- Prepare detailed estimates for projects and other activities as directed and assist in the preparation of the Section budget and business plans;
- Keep abreast of advances in hydroelectric plant design and development in general and the assigned technical field in particular. Participate in various training programs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering; and
- Professional Electrical Engineer licensed with the Professional Engineers of Ontario (PEO).
- We are looking for an engineering professional with the following:
- Minimum 8-10 years of progressive experience as an Electrical Engineer;
- Must have experience working in an industrial/plant environment with electrical power distribution equipment, protections and controls;
- Ideally looking for candidate with experience working in the energy industry; power generation, transmission, and/or energy distribution with a utility. This position is part of the Electrical and Protection & Control Department, therefore a high level of understanding and experience with the following is required:
- Hydro and Thermal station generators;
- Liquid-filled and dry-type transformers;
- High and medium voltage switchgear;
- AC and DC station service equipment;
- Hydro and Thermal station electrical auxiliary systems;
- Station and temporary grounding;
- Electrical safety;
- Engineering studies such as short circuit, coordination, arc flash and load flow; and
- Generator, transformer and station service equipment protective relaying.
- Generator and auxiliary control systems
- NERC Standards, NPCC Directories, Transmission System Code and IESO Market Rules
- Plant networks and communication protocols
- Programmable Logic Controllers and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition Systems
- Process control cyber security
- The preferred candidate will be a Professional Electrical Engineer licensed with PEO and have 8-10 years of experience.
- Effective written and oral communications skills, demonstrated in your technical writing abilities to communicate effectively for the preparation, presentation and implementation of procedures, instructions and comprehensive technical reports;
- Requires strong interpersonal skills and an ability to work collaboratively with various business unit and stakeholders;
- Self motivated, results and detail oriented individual with ability to work in a fast-paced changing environment and effectively manage multiple tasks simultaneously;
- Must be a team player, but as required must be able to work independently with little supervision;
- Strong problem solving and innovative thinking skills, must be able to provide solutions, ideas and recommendations through effective issue resolution;
- Proven track record on delivering results;
- A quick learner, ability to break down complex and technical ideas. Must be able to effectively navigate a highly technical environment in a complex organizational structure;
- High integrity, upholding company values including H&S, and protection of the environment;
- Demonstrated knowledge of the OH&S Act and Regulations, especially for Industrial Establishments and various codes and standards associated with electrical engineering and application of their requirements;
- Processes, acquires, and maintains the technical/professional experience required to do the job effectively;
- Valid Ontario Drivers License in good standing; and
- Willingness to travel; 25% of time
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.