Shop Technician Jobs Vacancy in Mcgill University Montréal
Mcgill University Montréal urgently required following position for Shop Technician. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Shop Technician Jobs Vacancy in Mcgill University Montréal Jobs Details:
Under the direction of the immediate supervisor, performs technical duties in the field of engineering, metallurgy, woodworking, etc. Designs, builds and assembles various parts, equipment and apparatus. Participates in projects and experiments. Coordinates the activities of a teaching laboratory. Prepares and operates shop and laboratory equipment. Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Compiles data. Maintains equipment.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Participates in projects and experiments in the field of engineering, metallurgy, woodworking, etc. Discusses the orientation and technical demands of the projects. Reviews, selects and modifies methodology. Assumes responsibility for the technical aspects in the execution of these projects.
- Analyzes, interprets and discusses apparatus design submissions. Designs, constructs, assembles and tests various parts, equipment and apparatus involving plastic, wood, metal, glass, ceramics, etc. Programs and operates computer controlled milling machines or lathes, etc. used to produce complex objects. Utilizes techniques such as sanding, sawing, milling, welding, shearing, grinding and lathing. Develops new methodology when required.
- Acts as resource person, resolves problems and instructs others. Provides technical guidance and assistance concerning work methods, the use of equipment and techniques, and the analysis of results.
- Prepares, assembles, installs, operates and distributes the equipment and materials required for shop or laboratory. Ensures the proper use of equipment and execution of projects, the accuracy of completed work and that safety procedures are followed.
- Coordinates the activities of a teaching laboratory. Confers with professors concerning the scope and objectives of teaching laboratory sessions. Organizes laboratory schedules. Assesses equipment needs. Coordinates provision of equipment and materials. Oversees set-up of equipment. Liaises between staff and students
- Participates in lab instruction of courses and in the development and the selection of teaching aids. Performs administrative tasks related to examinations such as arranging for invigilation and compiling grades. Participates in the correction of students' written work, such as laboratory reports and assignments.
- Maintains equipment and performs repairs. Arranges for servicing.
- Maintains inventory. Recommends and purchases equipment and material.
- Compiles data. Prepares reports. Analyzes and discusses results and their interpretation with others. Maintains records and files.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in the field to update skills and knowledge.
The list of duties and responsibilities outlined above is representative and not a complete and detailed list of tasks, which may be performed by an employee whose position has been matched to this generic job description.
Education & Experience:
DEC III (Electronics Technology or Mechanical Engineering Technology)
Two (2) years related experience
Other Qualifying Skills And/Or Abilities:
Experience with welding and millwrighting and the ability to use and maintain various machines and equipment in a machine shop. Ability to understand course curriculum of undergrad engineering labs and ability and interest in supporting these labs, education and research in mechanical engineering. Excellent communication skills with ability to resolve problems and instruct students and academics. Solid knowledge and understanding of health and safety as well as CSST requirements. Microsoft Office proficiency. English and French, spoken and written.
Faculty Workshop Manager
$22.42 - $30.90
Faculty of Engineering
Chemical/Metallurgical Machine Shop and Stores
Hours Per Week:
How To Apply:
*Internal candidates: Please provide your McGill ID number when applying.*
Please submit your electronic application via the web at https://www.hreng.mcgill.ca/applicant click on "Application Form" and upload your curriculum vitae and cover letter as one document.
APPLICATIONS MUST BE RECEIVED WITHIN EIGHT (8) WORKING DAYS OF THE DATE OF PUBLICATION.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. McGill University is committed to equity in employment and diversity. It welcomes applications from indigenous peoples, visible minorities, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities, women, persons of minority sexual orientations and gender identities and others who may contribute to further diversification.