Curator Collections Assistant Jobs Vacancy in Government Canada
Government Canada urgently required following position for Curator Collections Assistant. Please read this job advertisement carefully before apply. There are some qualifications, experience and skills requirement that the employers require. Does your career history fit these requirements? Ensure you understand the role you are applying for and that it is suited to your skills and qualifications.
Follow the online directions, complete all the necessary fields, and provide all relevant information so your application is submitted correctly. When you click the 'Apply this Job' button (open in new window) you will be taken to the online application form. Here you will be asked to provide personal and contact details, respond to employment-related questions, and show how you meet the key selection criteria.
Curator Collections Assistant Jobs Vacancy in Government Canada Jobs Details:
Parks Canada - Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites
Colwood (British Columbia)
SU-01 - Curator/Collections Assistant, Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites
Approximate salary range: $12.77- $15.63 per hour (based on education and experience) For further information on the organization, please visit Parks Canada
Closing date: 1 February 2018 - 23:59, Pacific Time
Who can apply: To be eligible, you must be:
-a full-time post-secondary student in an accredited institution
-currently recognized as having full-time student status by the academic institution in which you are presently enrolled
-returning to full-time studies in the next academic term and
- between the ages of 16 and 30 to be hired for a student job (Young Canada Works funded positions).
- the minimum age to work in the province where the job exists (Federal Student Work Experience positions).
-have legal status to work in Canada. Please indicate in your application the reason for which you are entitled to work in Canada: Canadian citizenship, permanent resident status or work permit.
Colwood (BC) and within a 75 kilometer radius of Colwood (BC), within Canadian territory, extending to, amongst others, Vancouver (BC), Nanaimo (BC). Apply online
Important messagesWhile online application is the preferred method, your application can also be sent by e-mail to the following address: CoteC-BEtudiant.CoastalBCStudent@pc.gc.ca with a short (max 1 page) cover letter and resume in which case you must indicate the process reference number: 2017-322
DutiesWorking under the supervision of Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites Curator, students will develop diverse and valuable work experience and skills through the following tasks:
• Support our general interpretive offers through: assisting with programs, products and
special events both in the park and local communities, and creating content for our photo cataloguing & selection and preparation for social media platforms
• Concisely communicate park information including park site orientation, interpretive/curatorial programming, and knowledge of Parks Canada
• Work collaboratively with a variety of staff
• Represent Parks Canada: promote Parks Canada visitor opportunities and products,
raise awareness about Parks Canada and make history and nature engaging and
Work environmentFort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites seeking self-motivated, outgoing and creative individuals to join their curator/ collections team. The Curator/Collections assistant’s role is to educate and inspire visitors about the local cultural and natural history and to promote Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites and Parks Canada. Successful applicants will be confident, have strong communication skills, and be able to follow detailed instructions. Both the ability to work as part of a team and to work independently will be important in qualifying for this dynamic position.
Intent of the processThe intent of this process is to hire students for the summer 2018. We will only contact students who demonstrate clearly in the screening follow up questions that they possess the education and experience required for this opportunity.
Positions to be filled: 1
Information you must provideYour résumé.
Contact information for 3 references.
You must meet all essential qualifications in order to be appointed to the position. Other qualifications may be a deciding factor in choosing the person to be appointed. Some essential and other qualifications will be assessed through your application. It is your responsibility to provide appropriate examples that illustrate how you meet each qualification. Failing to do so could result in your application being rejected.
In order to be considered, your application must clearly explain how you meet the following (essential qualifications)This competition is open to all University students entering second year of study or higher, with courses in history, museum/curator or archives studies, anthropology, fine arts or other related fields.
Post-secondary students currently registered in a full-time College or University program
who will be returning to full-time studies in the fall.
• Previous experience in a museum environment an asset
• Computer skills including knowledge and experience using Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, and phot editing software are an asset
• Excellent organizational, technical writing, research, and manual skills with a penchant for attention to details
• Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
• Excellent interpersonal skills, with experience working both independently and with a team
-Experience in public speaking
- Experience in working with the public
If you possess any of the following, your application must also clearly explain how you meet it (other qualifications)• Some experience with a variety of historical research methods such as; archival,
• Some experience with a variety of archival methods and cataloguing
Ability to assist in photo cataloguing, selection and preparation for web
• Excellent interpersonal abilities (friendliness, tact, responsiveness, enthusiasm)
• Ability to personally connect with others
• Sound judgement
• Client Focus – providing service excellence
• Teamwork – ability to work with a team to achieve shared goals
• Strives for excellence
The following will be applied / assessed at a later date (essential for the job)Various language requirements
English essential, Bilingual, preference may be given to bilingual candidates
Information on language requirements
The following may be applied / assessed at a later date (may be needed for the job)The Curator/ Collections assistant’s role is to inform, educate and inspire visitors about Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse's history, and also to promote Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Site(s) (NHS) and Parks Canada.
Conditions of employmentReliability Status security clearance - To be eligible, you must be:
• a full-time secondary or post-secondary student in an accredited institution;
• currently recognized as having full-time student status by the academic institution in which you are presently enrolled;
• returning to full-time studies in the next academic term;
• between the ages of 16 and 30 to be hired for a student job (Young Canada Works funded)
• Work shift-work, and/or weekends, and/or statutory holidays and provincial/territorial holidays
• Wear a Parks Canada uniform as per the uniform policy and/or dress in period costume as per Parks Canada requirements
• Work outside in varied weather conditions
• Stand/walk for up to two hours at a time
• Perform certain physical tasks as per job requirements (e.g., lift and carry up to 15 kg, reach above head)
• Handle historic weapons or other types of materials
Other informationTips for applicants:
• When answering the screening questions ensure that you provide complete and thorough details of your experience. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each Experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided. Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition
• Do not assume that the screening board has any previous knowledge of your background, qualifications, or work history. You must be specific and provide concrete examples/details for each Experience element, as applications will be screened only on the information provided.
• Failure to provide sufficient information may result in your application being screened out of the competition.
The Public Service of Canada is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce reflective of Canadian society. As a result, it promotes employment equity and encourages candidates to indicate voluntarily on their application if they are a woman, an Aboriginal person, a person with a disability or a member of a visible minority group.
The Public Service of Canada is also committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity or testing, you should advise the Public Service Commission or the departmental official in a timely fashion of the accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all those who apply. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Kate Humble, Curator, Fort Rodd Hill & Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Site